About Skills for Work
The Kerala Education Development and Employment Society (KEDES) has partnered with the Commonwealth of Learning (CoL) to implement the Skills for Work project in India. The project is aimed at closing skill gaps for in-demand jobs responding to employer and industry needs through directly supporting the youth and adult to participate and complete skill and professional development courses offered by online learning platforms like Google, Udemy, and Coursera.
The Commonwealth of Learning is offering 7,000 scholarships for eligible Indian citizens and it is administered in India by KEDES over a period of three (3) years. The scholarship is aimed at assisting Indian citizens to acquire skills to gain employment, work, and livelihood.
TYPES OF SCHOLARSHIPS:
- COL-Grow with Google Skills for Work Scholarship: Grow with Google helps to ensure that the opportunities created by technology are available to everyone. Through free tools and training, it helps people get the right skills to find jobs they want, advance their careers and grow their businesses. Since launching in 2017, under this initiative more than five million Americans got trained on digital skills. The program help the following:
a. Small Business Owner can build their online presence and find new customers.
b. Job Seeker and Students can learn the skills they need to get the jobs they want in today’s evolving economy.
c. Educators can learn how to help their students get the skills they need to be prepared for today’s jobs.
d. Developers can sharpen their current skills and master new ones.
e. Startups can learn how to get their ideas the exposure they need to succeed.
- COL-Coursera Skills for Work Scholarship
- COL-Udemy Skills for Work Scholarship
TIMELINE & NUMBER OF SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2021
First Batch: 01st April, 2021 to 30th September, 2021 (500 Scholarships)
Second Batch: 01st October, 2021 to 31st March, 2022 (1140 Scholarships)
Deadline for Submission of the Application:
First batch: 25 March 2021
Second batch: 15 September 2021
- Those who are interested to gain new skills to enter the job market
- Students who are currently pursuing the final year of their undergraduate/diploma/postgraduate degree
- Those who are unemployed and wish to gain skills to start mini and micro-enterprises;
- Between 18 to 45 years of age
- Male, Female and Transgender
- 50% scholarships are reserved for women
- 5% scholarships are reserved for Persons with disability
To learn more about the COL-Skills for Work Scholarship, please visit our website:
- Once you submit your application using the online application a selection committee will shortlist the eligible candidates who will be required to participate in an online screening process and/or telephone interview. Shortlisted candidates will be provided with the details for online screening and/or telephone interviews through phone call/ SMS/ email/ WhatsApp/ Telegram
- Selected learner has to respond to our scholarship invitation and register within two (2) days of receiving the invitation;
- Selected learners will be required to complete at least three (3) courses within 6 months
- The learner has to enroll three (3) courses within a week of accepting the invitation;
- The learner has to show enough progress with learning, say at least three hours of learning within the first two weeks of joining; and,
- The learner has to complete at least one course within 4 weeks of availing of the scholarship
- Under COL- Grow with Google Scholarship, learners have to commit at least 10 hours per week.
- The scholarship will be withdrawn if the learner is not able to demonstrate enough commitment and willingness to take advantage of the scholarship and will not be considered for CoL scholarship in the future.
- A helpdesk facility is available to help facilitate learning.