The P N Panicker Foundation has been observing the Reading Day, Reading Week, and Reading Month Celebrations since 19th June, 1996, the first annual remembrance day of Shri P N Panicker Foundation, the father of Library and Literacy Movement in Kerala.
Started as a Reading Day Celebration on 19th June, 1996, it has become a mass movement to promote the culture of reading. Shri Narendra Modi, Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, came down to Kerala and launched the National Reading/ Digital Reading Month Celebrations on 19th June, 2017. The Prime Minister gave a clarion call to propagate the message of Vayichu Valaruka (Read and Grow) to 300 million Indian citizens by 2022.
The Government of Kerala and the Government of India through NITI Aayog has entrusted the responsibility of observing National Reading/ Digital Reading Month Celebrations to P N Panicker Foundation and P N Panicker Vigyan Vikas Kendra.
The 24th National Reading/ Digital Reading Month Celebrations were celebrated across all the States and Union Territories, from 19th June, 2019 to 18th July, 2020. A brief report of the 24th National Reading/ Digital Reading can be seen from here: URL
The 25th National Reading/ Digital Reading Month Celebrations are going to be celebrated in collaboration with various stakeholders from 19th June, 2020 to 18th July, 2020. This year, there will a variety of reading related activities conducted online and some of them include:
- 1) Digital Reading Pledge
- 2) Webinar on Importance of Reading
- 3) Webinar on Digital Library
- 4) Reading Competitions for School Students - Quiz, Drawing/ Poster Making, and Essay Writing.
- 5) Reading Competitions for College Students - Quiz, Drawing/ Poster Making and Debate
- 6) Reading Competitions for Teachers/ Faculty Members - Quiz and Video Book
- 7) Reading Competitions for Librarians