P N Panicker Vigyan Vikas Kendra is in the process of making Kerala the first e-literate state of the country. The information and Communications Technology has moved a long way and has invaded every walk of life. With the roll out of the National e-Governance Plan, the ICT is being taken to the remote corners of the country with access to the rural masses to draw the benefits of the development of IT for inclusive growth. There is a need to bridge the digital divide by spreading e-literacy for social inclusion.
The Project envisages:
- Familiarising the masses in the use of ICT in acquiring knowledge and skills for improving their living standards for better productivity and high returns through the use of the internet.
- Promoting literacy through the use of ICT enabled lessons through the touch screen facilities of the computer tabs.
- Familiarising the neo-literates in skill development and continuing education through online lessons by creating suitable web content.
- Reduce the digital divide in the villages.
- Creative convergence of digital arts, science, technology and business for human expression, communication, social interaction and education.
- To provide access to information and quality education and capacity building for the weaker sections of the society. The popularization of e-governance to ensure the generation of wealth with social participation.
- Building gender equity by sharing information.
- Providing opportunities for sharing views with the world through social media.
- To develop social capital by leveraging human potential through ICT.
- Sharing the success stories and knowledge of the community in organizing micro enterprises for better productivity and economic return and democratization of information for citizen centric development.
- Familiarizing e-commerce and e-services for economic empowerment and cost effective time conservation as well as to enhance the market of village produce through network marketing.
The outcome of the project is that once 100 percent literacy is reached, the population will have four areas of achievement, namely, knowledge empowerment enhancing the quality of life, irrespective of gender dimension, enabling greater voice and participation of the citizens, confronting, environmental pressures and managing democratic changes. Once ICT is practised everywhere, online education will reach higher dimensions whereby skill development for employability enhancement and better income will be the result.
Some of the projects that the Foundation is implementing include IT Mass Literacy Programme for Women/ SC/ ST candidates, National Digital Literacy Mission, Total Digital Literacy, Literacy through e-Literacy, etc.